Tuesday, July 10, 2012

three days of bike commuting

Two weeks ago, I began writing about my 3 days in a row of commuting by bike. Now, people who commute every day probably think nothing of this (nor should they), but this blog is about my growth in my attitude toward cycling. For me, it was a big deal, and a really great three days. I'm upset with myself that it has taken me so long to write about it, but I was out and about that whole weekend, and then last week was the holiday and I headed back to Cincinnati. Anyways, here are my thoughts...

Riding to work all three days was a bit exhausting. The heat was pretty unbelievable that week, though truth be told it doesn't bother me all that much. The rides in the morning are just great with the warm mornings. I do wish they'd fix the road next to Iwo Jima that leads down to the Route 110 trail. But the ride in the morning is great this time of year. I will say that rolling up next to the Arlington Cemetery each morning is a special way to start the day. It just gives you a little reminder of where you are and what a great place we live. Not to get too far in, because it's not like it affects your entire day or that you have to be overwhelmingly reflective, but it is a good feeling to take a second or two to think about what exactly that place means. Anyways, the morning rides were great.

The afternoon rides actually were pretty easy too. The heat was a bit to contend with, but sometimes that just slows you down a bit and lets you enjoy the ride. Because of riding every day, and because I was trying to lift a little when I got home, the afternoon rides were pretty slow and relaxed. All in all, it was good.

The nice thing about commuting more consistently is how much easier the preparation gets. I know exactly what I need in my toiletry kit, what clothes I want to take, where things go, etc. The set up time goes down quite a bit. So too does the time at the gym when I arrive to work, as I have my routine down.

The three days were tiring and certainly I was a bit worn down by the third day, but it was a great experience. Hopefully I will continue to ride more often. Enjoy your commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment