Monday, June 25, 2012

commuting consistency

Recently, I have been trying to ride to work a little more. Lately I have been much better about trying to ride once a week. Part of the reason I don't ride more is that my knees aren't the best. Compounding this problem is the fact that I still like to run sometimes. I also have been trying to lift regularly for about the first time in my life, just to have a different way to get some exercise. As a result, riding every day is tough. Sometimes it kills my knees enough that I don't want to run or lift. So with biking, as with anything else, I've tried to practice some balance. I don't want it to be my only form of exercise.

That being said, biking is the most fun I have. Especially my early morning ride, when DC is completely quite and barely lit. I really can't tell you how much I love riding at that time of day. This week, I have Friday off. Thursday, I am going to a concert straight from work, and it'll be a late night. Therefore, for my purposes, the only possible riding days are Monday-Wednesday. My goal is to ride all 3 days. I hope it works. Getting more consistent with riding to work is something I've wanted to do for a while, and I look forward to the challenge. The planning, time, and effort riding takes is part of the rolling resistance that this blog is named after. Overcoming rolling resistance is difficult at first, but once you start going becomes easier. The more we use the bike to commute or run errands, the easier it becomes. Getting into a routine of packing, checking the bike, riding, and getting showered and into work makes the routine become easier.

I wish everyone safe commuting and hope to report back in a few days about my 3 days of commuting.

No comments:

Post a Comment